Thanksgiving is over and Christmastime is officially upon us. At Aksarben Property Management, we believe our properties are far more than rentals. We strive to make sure our tenants are happy in their homes.
Our renters want their homes to be full of cheer and festive, but it’s also important to our property owners that their homes remain in great shape and free of unnecessary damage.
This is part one in a four-part series about happily celebrating the holiday season safely in your Aksarben Property Management-managed home that keeps our renters and property owners happy.
A question you’re probably asking yourself right now:
“Can I put decorations up in my home if I’m renting?”
Yes, everyone has the right to celebrate the holiday season. But, we feel it’s essential for tenants to care for their rental home while not causing damage. Traditional holiday decorations can come with some potential risks to the safety of people and the property. So, here are some tips for tenants.
• Replace your old lights if they are more than 3 years old, or if you notice any problems with wires, broken sockets, or loose connections.
• Replace any missing or damaged bulbs on the strand before putting it on.
• Avoid linking more than three strands of lights together.
• Always turn the lights off when you are going to bed or out of the house. Unplug them if that puts your mind at ease when you go to bed for the night.
• Unplug lights before putting them up or taking them down.
• Don’t put strands of lights on the ground. You don’t want anyone to get injured in an accident.
• Use hooks or insulated staples to put up the lights, and please avoid nails or tacks
• Always make sure to use lights labeled for outdoor use outdoors and lights labeled for indoor use indoors.
• Use heavy-duty extension cords and do not overload plugs with more than three strands of connected lights. Not doing so could be a serious safety issue.
• Try a programmable timer to turn decorations on and off to save power (and money!)
• Keep cords tidy to prevent a hazard.
• Before installing lights or anything else, ALWAYS read the instructions.
If you have any questions about holiday decorations, please give us a call at (402) 527-4471.